Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Diary Entry - 23rd November, 1915

I accompanied Lieutenant Kellagher to the battery and, as he had something to do, he put me in charge. He said he would return in a few minutes, but I never saw him for the rest of the day so had to get along as best I could. Luckily, it was a foggy day and there was very little firing. In the afternoon, the Bosches started dropping some big 5.11 hows into a wood on our left. They kept it up for an hour, making a huge noise but doing very little damage. The day in the dugout ended at 4.45, and I returned to the mess for tea and a warm fire.

3 comments:

  1. Boshe and Tommies ... and 'hows' ... fancy being in charge of a gun on your second day on the Front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming 'hows' are howitzers?

    ReplyDelete