Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Diary Entry - 24th November, 1915

The morning was spent up at the O.B. with the C.O. – at least he took me up there and left me with Kellagher, while he went to the trenches with Captain Griffiths of the wagon line and also a terrier officer. The two hours I spent there were quite thrilling for one not used to the O.B., as the Bosches dropped about four wibangs (77 mm gun) uncomfortably close to the house and one blew some earth onto our roof. The front, which our guns cover, was pointed out to me, and I tried to memorise all the prominent positions of the enemy. After returning to the mess for lunch, I went along to the battery and spent the afternoon with Siggers, who was on duty. That evening two guns were moved into their new position near the mess.

3 comments:

  1. OB = ??
    I was going to ask last entry, what is a 'terrier'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think OB must mean operational base. Terrier seems to refer to a different kind of brigade or regiment.

    ReplyDelete