Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Diary Entry - 6th September, 1916

In the afternoon, having no duties to perform, I strolled over to the 15th battery to look Bee up. He was at the OP, so I strolled up there and found him conversing with a machine gun person and they were discussing the front. So interested were they that they did not notice me enter. While I was there the 48s rang up and said I was to go on a gas course. Bee had no letters or any news, so I came back to the batteries, being pursued by jackos and woolies.

4 comments:

  1. Can't help wondering what jackos and woolies are....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping another reader will be able to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'jackos' and 'woolies' represent different forms of shellburst, i seem to remember. 'Jackos' - were I presume 'jack johnsons' (the common term in 1914) ..the black bursts of large calibre German artillery shell.[after Jack Johnson the world heavyweight boxing champion].... 'woolies' were from 'woolly bears' .. I think .. shells with lots of smoke attached .. or something like that. 'Coal Boxes' was another type ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping you'd come up trumps, dne1

    ReplyDelete