Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Diary Entry - 11th October, 1916

Walford: A very dull cold day, spent at the Maillet position. The OC came down in the morning and had a look through the signalling equipment and moved it into our dugout as it was so damp where it was. After having made a hole in the roof to let smoke out, I got a fire going in a tin and dried all the instruments and signalling equipment, which needed it badly. Cruickshank relieved me.

Bee: More rain this morning. I went to the wagon line, which is at Bus, but I went by Acheux, where the field cashier is. The country seems to be alive with infantry and transport. The wagon line has shifted a few yards but is still on a ploughed field. I came back by Courcelles. I saw a covey of 9.2-inch very cleverly concealed. There are a lot of haystacks and one battery has built haystacks for gun pits, which are very well disguised. No one could possibly see they were guns until five yards away. I was at the 56th battery yesterday. Kellagher has a wonderful show. I don't think I have seen a position more complete - electric bells and speaking tube to each pit. And he has just completed a reinforced concrete pit, which was built inside one of his ordinary pits and would be proof against most things. He also has a hot and cold water bath laid on, which is luxurious.

No comments:

Post a Comment