Search This Blog

Monday 24 October 2011

Diary Entry - 24th October, 1916

Walford: Hoyland relieved Cruikshank at the guns. Flynn of the 50th came round to see Siggers about going up in an aeroplane during the morning: as they were to go over with the infantry, they wanted to see the coutnry first. He stayed to lunch and talked everyone under the table. Suttie and Bailey went up to the trenches after lunch and it rained all the afternoon. At four, after some tea, I set out for D 36 OP to do liaison officer. I got there soon after five, after having almost throttled myself with wires in Taupin Trench. I had to go down to Bow Street Battalion HQ to see the colonel and it was a rotten trip as the infantry were being relieved, the trenches filthy and you could not see your hand in front of your face. On the way back, the Taupin wires drove me to desperation. I got hung up in them about three times. It was not what one would call a comfortable spot and the rats were very thick.

Colonel Newcombe went home to England to a gunnery school. He is to be an instructer under Brigadier Kerwin who is OC school.

Bee: Slept at the guns last night. Shooting all night. The tanks were supported to come up. But it started raining about eight p.m. and they must have had to stop where they were. Colonel Newcombe left us today. He has been taken home to start a new school of instruction for OC during the winter. He and our late Colonel General Kerwin, the two best and most thorough men I have met out here. They are both awfully nice men personally as well. A brute of a day. It rained all night and all of today. Show has been put off 48 hours now this jolly wet has started, of course. I have not a pair of boots to my name that are watertight. Have been waiting until I go on leave but have been caught on the hop all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment