Search This Blog

Monday 14 November 2011

Diary Entry - 14th November, 1916

Walford: There was another attack, just to clear up the line, at six a.m., but how it came off I never heard. Bosche took a dislike to the O.P for about 20 minutes and put a few 4.2 hows very close. Captain Bromley was with me at the time and we took refuge in the dug out. About ten, the battery told me I could come in, so I went straight down to the battery and found that Cruikshank had gone, so I had to stay at the guns. We fired a lot of different barrages and continued through the night. Bromley, Walrond, Suttie and self had quite an amusing evening, all crowded round the fire. I was pulled out by the orderly sergeant before midnight to tell the No. 2 gun what I had already told them once, and my blood was a little bit heated. A Bosche aeroplane flew very low over the position about midday - you could see the pilots quite plainly, and a lot of people in other positions were loosing off rifles at it, but it looked about for nearly half an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment