Search This Blog

Monday 27 February 2012

Diary Entry - 27th February, 1917

Walford: In the morning, Siggers went to the OP and registered zero and wire cutting lines on Grevillers. We were also engaged in salving ammunition from an Anzac position with pack horses. At three, I went out as liaison, proceeding along the East Miraumont Road across the old Bosch front line to Coulee trench, where I relieved Bee. I forgot to mention that lI posted two signallers in a shaft along the road to be responsible for the war to SN2. Coming over No Man's Land, there were a lot of our dead about from the last attack and I suppose the deserters (2) gave the whole show away and the Bosch were ready. I followed the wire up from here, having left an NCO and signaller where Bee had been. The wire ran along Coulee Trench to the south and thence across the shelled ground to the acqueduct road. On arriving at the dugout in the sunken road and descending to the depths, I found the place crammed with platoon commanders and orderlies. However, I saw a small hole under the cook's legs and dived into a filthy kind of mess of tins and old clothing but it was the only place for the gunner officer. The 2nd HLI were in when I arrived but were relieved by the 2nd Ox and Bucks that night, and I must say they were a much more pleasant crowd. The night was spent in trying to sleep amongst the rubbish with no coat to keep me warm and the result was that I almost froze.

Bee: This is a very small dug out - no room to lie down. I sat up all night. The more I see of the feet, the more respect I have for them, but they are an ignorant lot. The Hun was rather active all through the night and put some very close to us. But he has taken his guns some way back. It was much clearer in the morning than it has been but saw very few Hun. Our people were walking about the open in shawls[?]. Which of course annoyed the Hun no end and made him shoot more than usual. The Hun has made himself as objectionable as possible by relieving himself in dug outs and all over the place. I went up the E Miraumont road where you can see right down int Irels[?] and Miss. Irels has quite a number of houses which have roofs still left on them. I did not stay there long as there was a Hun machine gunner dropping bullets onto the road as neatly as you like. Was relieved at three p.m. by Walford and got back here about five p.m. feeling dead to the world. Thought I would have a lie down for two hours before dinner but knew no more until nine a.m. the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment